Sunday, September 27, 2009

Shades of Blue

Recently my eyes have been (re)opened to the classic idea of using BLUE in the kitchen. Maybe you're thinking what I would typically have thought of- an 80's style, blue with flowered wallpaper-type kitchen... in fact I am picturing OUR old kitchen. And I always assumed that when I finally had a house of my own I would probably paint it in shades of red, yellow or gold. (I learned in my first interior design class at BYU that these colors promote hunger and conversation, and also encourage you not to spend too much time in the room since they are not very relaxing colors. Think: McDonald's, who probably want to move their customers in and out fairly quickly, and also promote business in hungry passers-by!)

Anyway, I saw a makeover on HGTV in which they updated the kitchen using light blue, and I was surprised to find that I loved it. There are so many ways to do blue without being too "country," if, like me, that's not your style. See?


So fresh and clean! Very coastal

Even with dark cabinets the white accents really pop

More of a robin's egg blue... almost greenish. Still adorable

Not the blue I had in mind, but doesn't it look awesome with the white and red accents? So original

More red accents, and I looove that chandelier

And if you can really commit to the blue... why not get these adorable appliances? :o)

5 comments:

  1. I love all of these! Blue is so precious in a kitchen! Honestly, in my old age I love country-floral mixed with a little "shabby chic," but I also really, really like the second picture with the grayish-blue walls! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue. But in a more vintage, shabby chic way. Well for me. I do like all the pictures you posted though. It can go so many ways! You would LOVE the new dishes I got for my kitchen that I WILL HAVE one of these days...lots of fun colors but the main color is kind of a tealish blue. I also just painted a vintage frame for my room makeover & it's like a light robins egg blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the Teal Love the blue! I have always loved the idea of white cabinets in the kitchen. Darker countertops. And a great color for the walls. Love your idea for a blog. I will have to follow it. You have such great style. I used to keep a notebook of things I loved from magazines that I wanted some day in my house, colors I liked etc. So I didn't have 50 billion magazines for a couple pictures. great Idea for a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want that blue kitchen with the brook out the door. So lovely... :)

    Guess this is a good time to say, my kitchen is painted blue!! I'm so proud at this moment. heeee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red maple cabinets can create a warm cherry kitchen if you order kitchen cabinets online.

    ReplyDelete